Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Cake on a Cupcake Blog? Oh Noooo!

Before I was so obsessed with cupcakes, it was cakes. My mom and I took a Wilton class my junior year of high school, and we had to each bake a cake every week for class. That was a lot of cakes, but it didn't stop us from stopping at Friendly's most nights after class for ice cream. I've strayed from cakes to cupcakes in the past couple years because I just love cupcakes. They're so cute and happy and portable. Plus the frosting to cake ratio is so much better. So it's been a while since I've made an actual cake. In the past couple weeks, I've gotten a couple cake orders to go along with cupcakes. I knew I hadn't forgotten how to make a cake, but figured it would be wise to practice before those orders, especially because I had never covered a cake with fondant before.


While home for Easter, I tackled the cake along with all the cupcakes I posted on Sunday night. Like I've said before, I find fondant pretty easy to work with, so I was not anticipating a problem. For the most part, it went well. I made some mistakes that I would definitely fix in my next attempt, but it wasn't too bad. The hardest part is to get the fondant smooth over the cake with no creases. There was just one tiny crease in the cake, and I covered it with the decorations anyway. I have since watched many YouTube videos about fondant covering (yes, they do exist). So while I discovered that I am perfectly capable of making cakes, I really prefer cupcakes still.

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio